What’s Going on Here?
I’m done translating Yuushibu volume 1, which was the last of those projects that I promised to translate, and if I promise stuff, I see it through. That is, if I am able to do it in the first place, HataMaou or Netoge were just over my head at the time, so I had to drop them, but I announced that as soon as it dawned on me. Well, and I simply dropped the Baka-Tsuki app translation (English to German) ’cause it was a pain to do (sorry, Lery!); and ’cause hardly anyone would’ve cared in the first place.
Anyway, I’ve nothing to translate anymore! Yet I don’t have the time to throw myself at 250 pages (average light novel thickness) and doing legal gray zone activities don’t really tickle my fancy anymore (it’s not even a gray zone, it’s just dark). Personally, I really enjoy the process of translating and editing, and would like to keep it up one way or another. Hence, I’ve been doing teasers from time to time which are neither big enough to make any company president’s head explode, nor too much work for me to handle, yet can give nice insight into a novel and its contents.
To kill two birds with one stone I figured I might ask you (whoever you are) for stuff you might want to have teased or are interested in reading a bit into.
A teaser would consist of anything between five to thirty translated and edited pages by yours truely (which means it’ll be fairly fast (probably!)) – depending on how awful/fun it is to do. Of course this doesn’t go with some rules which might be extended/altered when changes hit me. And I know the rules are mostly stuff you can’t possibly know, it’s just to clarify that I won’t indiscriminately do anything.
Suggestions go into the comment area. If there’s a certain part you’re interested in, please state which. Spread the word!
- The novel itself must at least look okay-ish to me and somewhat fit my taste. I refuse to do stuff that annoys me.
- Bad example: Haganai (yes, I know, sorry), drama/psychological stuff.
- I must’ve already read it, or it must be the first volume (which would be my fav, I like trying new stuff), or it picks up after an anime that I’ve already watched. I don’t like translating without context/into the blue.
- Bad example: Do OreShura 10.
- Since you’d be pretty much guessing what stuff I’ve already seen/read and what not, you’re better off picking new series or series that don’t have any translation at all.
- There must be a decent raw available. Blurry and/or low-res scans give me a headache.
- Bad example: That Fafnir 1 raw I tried ages ago.
Generally, it’s better to suggest stuff that’s new and you’ve only seen the cover of. Like, “oh, I wonder what this series is all about!”
If you’ve read it somewhere else already, chances are it’s already been teased or I’d have to pick up from right in the middle of the series, which I don’t wanna (see Rule #2). Reading a (bunch of) volume(s) just so that I can translate a couple of pages to tease what’s going to happen next doesn’t make much sense, wouldn’t you agree?
Another good idea would be to check what novels I’ve already reviewed since I tend to do that for everything I’ve read, so chances are, for example, that I’ll tease something from Shomin Sample 7 that might interest you.
Alright, let’s see if and how this goes! Oh, and if I happen to get a bunch of suggestions I’m interested in, I’ll simply let you guys decide on Twitter by vote what I’ll do (or maybe by some other means, this is all just a tryout). Remember, it won’t be the whole volume, not by far.